Sunday, October 29, 2006

GVGOAT 5 - 1

Well, it's finally here. The greatest five games of all time. It's been a fun trip down memory lane and there's a few people I'd like to thank for making it happen. Ahem....me. Thank you.

I hope you've enjoyed it, as I've enjoyed bringing it to you, both of you loyal readers.



5) Super Mario Bros (NES)

I remember the first time I ever played a nintendo, launching this game, and being blown away. The first 8-bit system was such a step up, it was unreal. The amazing thing about the Mario games, is that they're usually launch titles with that console, yet they still manage to be one of the best games for the life of that system. SMB was no exception and actually invented the trend.


















Above: The Legend

I'm not saying it made since that red mushrooms made you grow, green ones gave you extra life or flowers made you shoot fireballs, but the age of video games truly began with this game.

Fun Fact: I always thought it was weird that Mario sprung out of the Donkey Kong series as a bit characters, only to become the greatest 8-bit hero ever.






4) Final Fantasy III (SNES)
Actually the sixth release in the series, but only the third in the US, FFIII was a wonderfully thought out game. It's greatest attribute: the story line. A dozen characters that were ALL developed through back story really added to the gameplay. I'm usually not that big of fan of story, but this game's was too fantastic to deny.














Above: HA! I'm in my robot suit, I don't care how many magicite you have.

The game also featured a great final area in which all the characters came together and you had to split them into groups in order to finish the castle. You might say, it was uber-cool. I wouldn't, but you might, you effing nerds. Also, one of the characters, Edgar, got to use tools, which included a drill and scooter. It also included getting the chainsaw, which RULED.

Fun Fact: This game also contained the most irritating character of all time. A girl who's skill is painting. They seriously tried to include painting as an attack skill in an RPG game. I wanted sodomy as a move, but they went with "happy cloud" instead. Twats.






3) World of Warcraft (PC)
Listen closely noobs, I'm saying this once: simmer down or I'll WTFPWN your ass straight back to elwynn forest. I don't care how many boars you killed or how many pieces of your tier 3 raid set you have, I rule you like Thrall.














Above: LEE-ROY JENKINS!!!!

It's already been a Jeopardy question and a South Park episode, I'm not sure where it can go from here. This game has single-handedly killed every other MMORPG on the market. 7 million strong and still growing, it is the online sensation. Up until this game, the longest a single game has been able to keep me interested was about 6 months. This game is the only game I've played in the past year. Seriously, just WoW. Hehe.

Fun Fact: LF1M Your Mom, need tank





2) Goldeneye 007 (N64)
Every loyal reader of the blog.net is fully aware of the greatness of Goldeneye. This game completely revolutionized multi-player action games on consoles. Sure you could blow someone up through a wall, but that's what made you a noob and me the effing master.















Above: Not playing "License to Kill"? You sissy.

The game also had a very good single player mode which included attempting to unlock various cheat abilities. Unlocking invincibility in this game still ranks as one of the 5 greatest moments in my life.

Fun Fact: The daily 4-man game of myself, Fu, scooter, and wakefield, at it's peak, might have been the greatest skilled game that existed in the world at that time that didn't involve a single asian. We were the big leagues. You didn't just sit down at our game, you had to earn a spot, bitches.






1) Zelda: A Link to the Past (SNES)
Zelda has the market cornered on mastering the action/RPG game. And NO game does it any better than the only zelda title released for the SNES. A perfect blend of story, graphics, action, and items, it stands the test of time. My only real complaint is that there weren't enough side people involved in the storyline of the game, but that's really just being picky.



















Above: You'd think eventually Zelda would just stay in her room.

Great music, and fantastic dungeons also added to the charm of the game. It also featured a very solid ending with good use of the zelda music. But the single reason this game takes the top spot: replayability. This game is over 10 years old and it's still great. Not only that, but I could name off all 3 world bosses, all 9 dungeon bosses, and tell you where to find all 20 quarter-heart containers. I'm not saying I'm proud of it, but if I can still do that over 10 years later, well, you get to be number 1.

Fun Fact: When you obtain the master sword, it's impossible to kill any of the squirrels or rabbits that run. Trust me, I tried long enough.

6 Comments:

At 9:33 AM, October 31, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm going to have to agree with you on #1 since I'm sure there are people who won't. I break this game out about once a year yet still have trouble solving the ice castle's maze (level 6?). I've also tried to kill the animals in the haunted forest, no luck there either.
Somehow my girlfriend will know not to have sex with me for 2 months because of this comment.

www.robdurhamcomedy.com

 
At 10:49 AM, October 31, 2006, Blogger Jack said...

Two all-time classics and three all-time nerdfests. I guess I'll take it. Frankly, I don't see how GTA -- and especially "Vice City" -- can be behind some fruity crap like "Final Fantasy: Girly Costumes Edition." But whatever.

And I hate to brag, but our Goldeneye prowess was pretty amazing. Yes, the games were daily, and yes the skill level was through the roof. And at the beginning of sophomore year I had played like once in my life (at reader BoD's house in like 1997 for about an hour). I put up with dying constantly for a good long while before I became even competitive with Todd and Wakefield. Once I got there, the game went from "fun and frustrating" to "utterly sublime." I would get my vote for #1, but, as I have said on here repeatedly, I hadn't even heard of about 45% of the games on this list...

 
At 2:50 PM, October 31, 2006, Blogger Passion of the Weiss said...

Its also weird that Mario had his own game Mario Bros.which debuted before SUper mario Bros. Did you ever play that one? It kinda sucked...I'm pretty much convinced that life and video games peaked with Super Mario Bros. 3...sure there were other great games but none with a character named Tanooki Mario.None.

 
At 6:52 PM, October 31, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tanooki Suit was great. My goal was always to beat the game in it. I also beat it in the hammer suit. (someone blow me and give me a medal) Did anyone ever do the trick where you turned into a statue while going down a pipe? You turned "gray in the face" but stayed as a tanooki and not a statue. I had the entire power guide for this game memorized. I'd say it's the best 2 dimensional game of all time.

 
At 6:54 PM, October 31, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oops, the above was from www.RobDurhamComedy.com. What about Tanooki or hammer suit WHILE in garubu's shoe in 5-3? I'm going to go jerk off to that memory.

 
At 5:03 PM, January 03, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Never played the snes games Terranigma and lufia2 ?
Top 10 material..

 

Post a Comment

<< Home