Thursday, October 12, 2006

“You know, I’ve never ridden in the Jeffmobile...”

…and now you never will. That’s right. The Jeffmobile is no more, leaving this dimension at the tender age of 19. The end of an era indeed. That it happened is no surprise. But how it happened definitely warranted a blogpost. More on that in a minute.
The last week and a half were spent looking for & acquiring a car, which was a giant pain in the ass I’ve never experienced before. It had all the charm of looking for a job, but at the conclusion of the process you had to give up a ton of money instead of the other way around. Super. But I do have a new car, or at least a car that’s new to me, and that's good.
Now back to the death of the Chevy. Naturally, I blame Jackson. Here’s why. It’s the evening of September 30, 2006. I’m driving my car, alone, and on my way to Jimmy John’s and the liquor store (how awesome is it that these 2 establishments are next door to each other?) before I head to Torgo’s place to catch the Iowa game. I’m on Northwest at a red light, waiting to turn left onto 5th. Out of nowhere, Jackson runs into the intersection and in front of my car, screaming like a lunatic. I have abso-fucking-lutely no idea where he came from or where he went to. But he seemed pretty excited about something. Seeing me and the imminent Iowa game I assume. Now believe it or not, I was not the least bit surprised. (“Let him go, Ralph. He knows what he's doing.”) The same could not be said for my car. The exact second that Jackson appeared in front of my windshield, my car’s brakes went out. It was as if Jackson snuck up behind a 90 year old with a heart condition, and the nonagenarian proceeded to clutch his chest and crap his pants. That is in essence what happened to my car. A $1400 brake estimate later, and it was pretty obvious that the Jeffmobile’s time had come. But all’s well that ends well, and I hold no resentment toward the executioner. R.I.P. Jeffmobile.

Okay, onto some semi-sports-related matters:
- Fu, Mrs. Fu, and I are dominating hundreds of other idiots in BGS’s Pick Six

- The Blue Jackets started the season with 2 wins and an overtime loss. And while Zherdev’s here now, all of that was done without Fedorov. This can’t possibly last, but I am extending an open invitation to all MWB readers, regardless of previous NHL affiliation (this means you Winged Wheel fans), to hop aboard the Blue Jacket Bandwagon now. The water’s nice and warm. Because it’s in a wagon…umm… yeah… metaphors.

- So, Cory Lidle’s a terrorist. Didn’t see that one coming.


Sizzling bacon!

1 Comments:

At 5:21 PM, October 13, 2006, Blogger Jack said...

BOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

I (heart) the Jeffmobile. I rode in it once (I think), and it was a singular experience. I think the last time I rode in a car that didn't even have a tape deck was back when my dad had an old manual transmission Geo or something, sometime around 1991.

When I ran across the intersection (from the Chipotle parking lot, where Evan was parked -- he and Scott were getting burritos while Adam and I were going across Northwest to the Subway. FYI.) and jumped on Jeff's car for a split-second, I figured it would freak out Jeff, but not necessarily his car. Maybe if I scare it again the brakes will work, like with hiccups? Have you gotten rid of it yet?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home