Tuesday, October 17, 2006

GVGOAT 17 - 11

Let if be known, we're getting close. Also let it be known that things get ugly here, and games become increasingly difficult to separate.

17) Super Mario Bros. 3 (NES)
Having to put this game this high is one of the bigger surprises on the list. However, it's hurt by the replayability factor. It's not one of the elite games that I'll be playing forever. It is one of the best NES games ever made, but there was something about it that just didn't lend itself to elite status.


















Above: I'm running a screen play...think about it.

I did enjoy the shoe in the cloud world. I just wish it would have made a larger appearance.

Fun Fact: One of the game's best easter eggs was getting the coin ship to appear. Once you boarded it you were awarded the coin purse. Hehe.




16) NCAA Football (PS)
The gameplay is great sure. Created teams are fantastic. Being able to design a league and uniforms and players, all wonderful. However, the single achievement of this game: recruiting. There are people who only play this game to recruit. That should tell you how fantastic it is.


The game also provided the fun of the merlin ball. Granted, they've made great improvements since the 2002 version. That's when QBs could make 50-yard money passes while being sacked and facing the wrong direction. But we all loves phil's option QB pitching the ball around himself with the wrong hand. Good times.














Above: Pause for the cause.


While maybe my most played sports game ever, I couldn't make it the highest rated ever. It was slightly overtaken by....



Fun Fact: I want to say the most fun I ever had was beating Phil 77-7 or coming back from 28-7 at the half to win 31-28, but it's not. Beating Jack, on a 2-pt conversion with no time left still ranks #1. He was totally in!! YOU KNOW IT!!






15) Tecmo Bowl (NES)
Congrats TB!! You win the honor of being the highest ranked sports game on the list. It was an insanely tough call between Tecmo Bowl and NCAA football, but I think the crazy fun of picking the same plays and unstoppable players just slightly edged out NCAAFB. There's not much else I can say about it, so, I won't.




















Above: You just got Thurmanated.

Fun Fact: Everyone always says how unstopped Bo Jackson was, but Walter Payton might have even edged him. I'm not saying it's a fact, but a possibility.






14) Dragon Warrior 3 (NES)
It took everything that was great and bad about DW1 and made it better. Ability to pick several characters, you had a bank, it was wonderful. Plus, toward the end of the game you switched to a new land mass which was the exact shape of the DW1 world. I'm a sucker for that shit.

















Above: I put on my robe and wizard hat...


Fun Fact: I always found it very strange that you fight very few dragons in the Dragon Warrior series.






13) Mega Man 2 (NES)
Mega Man is a long running and incredibly popular series. Everyone is familiar with the hero and knows about the game. But here's the dirty secret: The series of games isn't that good. Mega Man 1 was "meh", Mega Man 3 was decent, but all the other ones pretty much stink. However, there's always MM2. Great bosses, mostly useful weapons (sans the leaf shield, honestly), the Dr. Wily chain is great, and FANTASTIC music.


















Above: Always do Metal Man first. ALWAYS!


Fun Fact: How many other people used to have hand-written bingo-board passwords?...Right, me neither.








12) Command and Conquer: Red Alert (PC)
When the first line of RTS games came out, there were very good, but left you wanting a little more. Then, C&C RA came out, and blew my world. An absolute glorious game. The mission modes were great, and multiplayer (even against the CPU) was a blast. Whether it was blowing shit up, squishing guys with tanks, or zapping them with a tesla coil, there were always fun ways of winning and killing.
















Above: Ok, fine, it's RA2, shutup I know.


Fun Fact: I set up my first home network so I could play C&C RA against another person. I've got your IP right here, bitch!







11) Zelda: Ocarina of Time (N64)
This game, this right here, is the single biggest upset of my list. How this game didn't make the top 10 simply blows my mind. Yet, when I got right down to it, I just couldn't put it above any of the top 10. The single reason: replayability. I don't think I've played this game 5 times since I beat it. The other thing about the game I didn't like, the ending. Don't get me wrong, I think this game has the best handling of any action game ever made, but the end sucked. The boss was fantastic, but after it was over I felt jipped, and it me pisses off.
















Above: Link has a nice chat with Erin.

Otherwise, it's everything you expect from a Zelda title: fun story, lots of items, semi-difficult puzzles, and fantastic gameplay. Plus, you switch from little boy to bigger boy at various points in the game. NAMBLA is all over that.


Fun Fact: The Dungeon boss (1st dungeon once grown-up) where you have to shoot guys running out of pictures is one of the most clever bosses I've seen.


Top 10...You're on deck...

5 Comments:

At 8:30 AM, October 19, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Y'all. Just stopping by to land a few cave droppings. First of all...no more jeff-mobile...that pains my soul. I never got the chance to tell it how much I loved it. It had a good run though and it's end was obviously closing in. If you could all join me in a moment of silence for our fallen beloved....Thank you. NOW WHO'S READY TO LAUGH. Seriously, what's the deal with cancer? Anywho..on to more important things...the video game list. Todd deserves a coke for his valiant effort at conducting such a daunting task. We should chip in and buy him a trophy perhaps since he will not be winning the Cinqo de Cuervo First Prize award this year!!! and i MEAN IT. I noticed that Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time made it relatively high on the list, as it should. It simply brought me joy. Phil and I played that game together and although we made it far into the game, we never finished it. The best memory of that game is how Phil and I decided one day to buy a case of beer and sit around the house all day and play as much as we could. For lunch we made our way to jimmy johns, because apparently our moms would like us to eat there, and had an interesting interaction. While Phil was ordering his food, I was drunk and whistling some music from the game. Within 3 seconds the sandwich maker looks up with delight and says.."Hey, are you guys playing Zelda?" Phil and I both laughed pretty hard at that one. We then asked him about the game and I believe he told us a helpful hint. Glad to see that Megaman 2 made it high on the list. This is a classic for me. Singing the tunes in this game with Jackson and sometimes Al is just fantastic. Seriously those songs rule. I still remember when Al and I after a nite of angry bowling, decided to throw in the megaman 2 and Al exhibited piss poor performance in Dr. Wiley's lair. He single-handedly destroyed our game. I kept saying to him " GET THE JOB DONE!" but the blocks coming out of the wall were striking him with such force and velocity that he just broke inside. That and he didn't figure out the pattern til the upteenth time. On some other games...I like Mario 3, don't love it. Not much else to say except how cute was it when mario got the frog outfit...seriously. I don't believe I've seen Mario 2 on the list. I hope for your sake it is in the top teen. If not, your list is a fuzzie cootie. Tecmo Bowl, obviously a classic. I always liked annoying people by not snapping the ball and having them listen to " Down, Set, HUT HUT HUT HUT HUT HUT HUT." good times. It's all about hitting the "B" button as fast as you can. And by the way, Bo is the best in the game, it's a fact, not opinion. I'm looking forward to the top 10. Onto some other things. I am not aware of the exact source, but...The Louisiana Tech Bulldog football team plays Utah State this week and it has been tagged the "Pillow Fight of the Week." How friggin funny is that. You couldn't sum up our team any better than by saying they go out there and pillow fight like a bunch of sorority chicks. All they need to do is throw in the Philmingo and we're set. And lastly, Congrats to the Todd for ending the turmoil that was his job. Apparently friday is his last day, and I think he should steal something to pay homage to those disgruntled office space gents. I hope you enjoy Cleveland and all its' glory. U get to make out with Dan Whofleck. Oh and just one last thing..I listened to that MSU guy on the radio..that was one of the funniest things I'd heard in a while..good work. And lastly for future blogging, how ridiculous was that announcer for the Miami game with his moronic commenting, and eventual firing. Unbelievable..DON'T COME INTO THIS HOUSE..YOU'LL GET YOUR BUTT KICKED...seriously...did Chris pee on my door??
Cave

 
At 9:03 AM, October 19, 2006, Blogger The Diddy said...

I hate to break it to you this way, but Mario 2, not on the list. I simply disliked that game. You know why? B\c the whole thing is a dream, I'm serious. After you beat the game, you don't save a princess or the world, you simply wake up. FUCK THAT! You gotta give me some dap.

 
At 11:46 AM, October 19, 2006, Blogger Jack said...

Preliminary question:

Is "Tecmo Bowl" here the original or Tecmo Super Bowl? Or some amalgamation of the two, like your "NCAA Football" and "Madden," which were listed as franchises, and not by the original game? Because Tecmo Super Bowl is superior in every way (I think it was the first game that offered season-long play AND kept season-long statistics). Just a question.

Statements:

1.) Mario 2 sucked. There's no other way around it. Even the little 9-year-old me was supremely disappointed in that game. It has no place on this list.

2.) That being said, however good "Mario 3" ended up being, I will always remember it as a mild disappointment. It was widely promoted as, and expected to be, the OMG greatest game in the history of everything ever. Shit, it had an entire movie released that was one long commercial for the game. Expectations that were impossible to live up to.

3.) The top-10 had better be fucking STACKED if NCAA Football and especially, ESPECIALLY "MegaMan 2" aren't in there.

4.) I remember Todd playing that Zelda game CONSTANTLY our junior year over at 85 Norwich.

5.) I recall having a similar experience at that Jimmy John's to the one Cave described. Can't remember what the subject matter was, though.

6.) "YOU CAN'T GET THE JOB DONE" was one of the signature moments from this year's Cuervo. It's a shame I was the only one other than Cave and Al who heard it.

7.) EVERYONE who EVER played Tecmo Bowl (either version) reveled in the "READY ... DOWN ... HUT HUT HUT HUT HUT HUT HUT HUT HUT HUT...." at least a few times. A hidden but not-so-hidden treasure.


Every new edition of the list gives me the warm-and-fuzzies.

 
At 8:43 AM, October 20, 2006, Blogger The Diddy said...

Clarification: I meant to put it in the title, but yes, I'm including Tecmo Bowl and Tecmo Super Bowl as the same series title. I didn't feel they were separate enough to be treated as 2 different games.

Mario 3: I wouldn't go so far as to call it a disappointment. But I will concede your point that it didn't live up to the hype. The thing was, it had HUGE hype. I still felt it was a top 20 all-time game, and thus, it is placed accordingly.

 
At 1:28 PM, October 20, 2006, Blogger Jack said...

I agree that it's a great game and I don't disagree at all with its placement. I was just saying that I'll always remember it as a mild disappointment, because it had SO much hype. But yeah, it really is a fantastic game.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home