Thursday, September 14, 2006

I still like him better than Steinbrenner

I was just going to tack this on to the previous post but once I got going I thought it deserved its own post. Anyway…

And on an unrelated but still local pro sports-themed note, I JUST found out the Clippers and Yankees have parted ways after 28 years. Wow. I’m still in shock. As a Clipper-lover and Yankee-hater, this is bittersweet. I just thought it would NEVER happen. And I especially didn’t think it would happen as the team moves from the barely affectionately dank Cooper Stadium into a new downtown ballpark in 2008. I’m just in complete shock. Their uniforms mirror the Yankees. I mean for chrissake, they play Sinatra’s ‘New York, New York’ at the end of every game, win or lose. It’s completely bizarre, but so is the entire Cooper Stadium experience.

The one good thing about having the Yankees as the mother ship was that you got to see the most bizarre players on the way up and down from the majors. Sure we got to see Paul O’Neill, Bob Wickman, the Sausage Beater, Derek Jeter, Robinson Cano, and Jorge Posada on their way up. But those weren’t the ones I REALLY remember. Among countless others, we got to see Hideki Irabu, Jason Giambi, Ruben Sierra, Ramiro Mendoza, and Darryl Strawberry in person all WELL past their prime. And for that I thank you, Steinbrenner. Now get the hell out of my life.


- What the hell did you trade Jay Buhner for?! He had 30 home runs and over 100 RBIs last year. He's got a rocket for an arm. You don't know what the hell you're doin'!
- Well, Buhner was a good prospect, no question about it. But my baseball people loved Ken Phelps' bat. They kept saying "Ken Phelps, Ken Phelps."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home