Thursday, November 30, 2006

The rest of the Big Ten is furious and terrified

Jesus Christ. I was kind of skeptical of the Bucks, and extremely skeptical of them being the #1 team in the country, Greg Oden or no Greg Oden. Well, last night alleviated pretty much all of my concerns. Yeah, they're super-young. And yeah, they actually ended up losing the game. But oh my God, they are good. Like, really good. Stupidly talented, ath-eh-letic as all get-out...

TIME OUT. I'm watching the MAC title game, being played in downtown Detroit, and apparently the player of the game gets a deep dish pizza pie. I WONDER WHERE IT'LL COME FROM?!? Will Jeff drive up and eat half of it? I'm on pins and needles!

Anyway, the Buckeyes: basketball version.

Yeah, they lost. But that was obviously going to happen when, less than 4 minutes into the second half, all of our viable post options had at least 3 fouls. These kids are poised beyond their years, they're great shooters, there's just a lot to like. They lost, on the road to a top-5 team, and there's no shame in that. In fact, even the minuses were downright encouraging. OSU was susceptible to fouls, especially inside (it was infuriating during the game, but let's not talk about the ridiculous officiating -- and I'll leave it to Todd to give his thoughts on Dookie V's *ahem* "performance" during the game), which was huge because it threw off Matta's rotations and forced us to play a zone, which just got shredded, and that's not even mentioning the 34-13 free throw disparity. OSU also got beaten soundly on the boards, and had no answer defensively for Carolina's post players.

So, the minuses: interior defense and defensive rebounding. Can you think of any way those two things can be shored up before the end of the season? Anything, hmm?

Seriously, even if Oden is completely inept offensively and can only block shots and get rebounds, this team is easily top-5 in the country, and a VERY serious title contender. All that? After this football season? I'm speechless. I'm all bibbledy at the thought of being excited about college basketball again. The seventh post of this blog's existence, back when we were still on that abortion of a site known as eBloggy, was titled "Thad ... I MattaDore You!!!" I bet Todd had no idea how true that statement would be...

9 Comments:

At 12:32 PM, December 01, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I got LeFevour!!!
And the only prescription ... is more Pizza Papalis!

 
At 12:40 PM, December 01, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Agreed on all counts regarding the basketball Bucks too.
Here's what I told someone during the second half of the UNC game:

"All Greg Oden has to do before every game is make sure he's still 7 feet tall."

I mean seriously, we don't need any offense from him whatsoever. As long as he gets a healthy number of rebounds, blocked shots, and altered shots, we'll be superfine.

Oh and for the record, Oden is either Robert Parrish's older brother or Joe Horn's dad. Maybe both.

 
At 12:55 PM, December 01, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

A few more things about the Bucks:

- The officials were indeed infuriating in the OSU/UNC game.

- Similar to Jack Fu's feelings, our lack of a truly discernible offense is at least a little offputting. But given our talent, I see this feeling wearing off in a hurry.

- A stat like 13/27 from beyond the arc makes me feel 2 ways:
On one hand, I'm a tad worried that we have to rely on the 3 so much, and we'll rarely have nights quite that good. On the other hand, we have so many decent longball (chicks dig it) shooters that I don't see us entirely shitting the bed from 3 point land at any point this year. Again, once Oden starts playing, this will be less of an issue.

- I want to have Mike Conley Jr.'s baby. Who's with me?

 
At 1:56 PM, December 01, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not that it will necessarily matter in the end, but I have an inkling that the BCS computer rankings just may flip flop after this weekend. Regardless of a USC win, the BCS may have...er...movement. Michigan's last opponent to finish its season was Central Michigan last night...and it did so with a win. Extrememly slight bump up Michigan, right? Ha. Biased wishful thinking on my part for sure, but still. Florida beating Arkansas this weekend would not only nudge them up a bit, but in beating a USC opponent would nudge those Greek prophylactics down just a bit as well. Meanwhile, Vegas is currently against both Nebraska and Oregon State. If the bookies are right, look for the computer to nudge USC down again...and then again. All I'm saying is this...before everyone gets all basketball-y, there's still some football to be played before January 8th.

 
At 12:11 PM, December 03, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Um....yeah. In my haste, I forgot to present the possibility of a USC loss. Initial thoughts were "woohoo" followed by "this changes everything (for the better)." These thoughts, however, quickly subsided as only one thing actually changed. Media members stopped knob gobbling USC and started knob gobbling Florida. Now, as Jack Fu can attest, post "OMG Game of the Century" I was not the least in favor or a rematch. Had USC won yesterday, I'd still hold myself to that notion. But, Florida? Lord love a duck! ANYONE but Florida! Media, please stop gobbling Florida's inbred confederate gator-WRASTLIN' knob.

 
At 12:24 PM, December 03, 2006, Blogger Jack said...

It's all gonna come down to the pollsters, 'cause most people are speculating that the computers will have the two essentially even. It'll be interesting, that's for sure.

 
At 2:48 PM, December 03, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah. It's definitely down to the pollsters and the coaches have already hopped Florida to the number 2 spot. With that in mind, I should be switching gears now and enjoying the fact that Michigan will be playing USC in the Rose Bowl a scant 15 miles from my abode. And I am. I swear. It will fun. It could be one of the best games of bowl season.

Still... freaking Florida. I just threw up a little bit in my mouth. I think I'd rather see Boise State. A modern day David versus Goliath to be sure. Only in this instance, David only has a pea shooter and no peas and Goliath has a truckload of medieval torture devices, fighter jets with equipment that previously hadn't been invented yet, WMD's and last by not leaset an incredibly intimidating sweater vest.

Michigan already had there shot. This is true. And I will rest more easily knowing this than if they hadn't. I am not lobbying for Michigan here on the mass media outline known as Midwestern Bias. Still, years in the future, if ever I broach the topic while strolling some southern sandy beach in the evening, I know I will have to hear "Ya'll had yer chance." No sooner will the word "Ya'll" be uttered that I will shutter and once again throw up a little bit in my mouth...and then proceed to be jumped by the orange and blue clad klan members. To paraphrase the great Indiana Jones: Florida. Why'd if have to be Florida?

 
At 4:17 PM, December 03, 2006, Blogger Jack said...

"Raiders" jokes are always welcome on the MWB.

 
At 9:55 PM, December 03, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Raiders just lost 23-14 to a team they held to -5 passing yards. Now that's a joke.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home