Tuesday, May 02, 2006

I Put On My Robe and Wizard Hat

Just a few random sports-related thoughts:

The Cavs and Crew both lost to their respective league's Wizards over the weekend. Sorcery has never been less popular in the Buckeye state.

I was going to give my MLS season predictions, but after the Crew's first five games, I fold. I'm just going to go hide under a blanket and mutter "we're rebuilding, we're rebuilding, we're rebuilding" for the next 11 months.

One final soccer-related tidbit: the US World Cup roster gets announced today.
Here's my prediction for Bruce's final 23:
GK - Keller, Howard, Hahnemann
DEF - Onyewu, Gibbs, Lewis, Bocanegra, Cherundolo, Hejduk, Berhalter, Albright
MID - O'Brien, Reyna, Mastroeni, Donovan, Beasley, Dempsey, Convey, Olsen
FOR - McBride, Johnson, Twellman, Casey

If you're actually interested in any of that, here's a link Jack sent me that was a good read:

http://www.noobsports.com/2006/04/deutschland-bound-part-i_12.html

Here's what ESPN says:
http://soccernet.espn.go.com/feature?id=365583&cc=5901



How the hell did Kudla not get drafted? I mean, the guys a beast. Hasn't anyone heard this?


This may be deemed blasphemy by a solid 50% of our readership, but last night's Oilers-Red Wings game was a beautiful thing to watch. That game was why I and so many others love the NHL playoffs. Hands down the best playoffs in professional sports.

For the record, before the playoffs, my finals pick was Calgary over Carolina in 6. Now I'm thinking Calgary over Ottawa in 7 to win Lord Stanley's (not to be confused with Lord Ainsley's) Cup. Either way, Kiprusoff's my pick for the Conn Smythe (and obviously the Vezina).

By the way, at the time, I thought the Colorado & Edmonton deals for goalies before the trade deadline were pretty smart. Now those deals look absolutely genius. In my opinion, the Habs gave up on Theodore WAY too early, and Roloson was just plain underappreciated in Minnesota. Now, thanks to those deals and those netminders, we have a 7 and an 8 seed in the second round in the west. Delicious.


So, I swear I just saw the LA Clippers win a playoff series for the first time in 30 years last night before I fell asleep. I thought to myself, "Wow. I wasn't even alive 30 years ago." Then I realized, not only that, but I could distinctly remember pretty much every other NBA team (except the Bobcats) being in the 2nd round of the playoffs at some point. Anyway, if the Clippers find a way to lose to the Lakers in the next round, I might just stop watching the NBA altogether.

31 days until Cuervo IV

1 Comments:

At 2:03 PM, May 02, 2006, Blogger Jack said...

"DEF - Onyewu, Gibbs, Lewis, Bocanegra, Cherundolo, Hejduk, Berhalter, Albright"

Be honest: you made up all of those names, didn't you? They don't look real.


Kudla's a beast? No one EVER told me that. I am surprised that he didn't get drafted by the measurables-obsessed NFL corporations after he tied the bench press record, though. (BTW, Ian at Sexy Results! has a great post up about the draft and how NFL corporations are idiots. A great read.)


I could have sworn that you said something about the NHL, but then I remembered that that league died. Also, I hate you.


As far as the NBA goes, I just have to say that if you have spent any time recently wondering to yourself, "Self, I wonder which 2006 Detroit Pistons are most analogous to 'Arrested Development' characters?" then the sublimely-titled blog Rob Deer's Mustache has your answer.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home