Friday, February 10, 2006

If Ohio St wins, does anyone care?

I watched the OSU/Mich game last night. It was a bizarre game. One team totally dominated the inside and the boards, and that team lost. It was a game OSU had no right to win, but they did. I know they did by deciding to make everything, but this team is much better than the media acknowledges. Well, actually that's hard to say because NO ONE IS SAYING ANYTHING about Ohio St.

The only place I notice any real disrespect is in projected brackets which all seem to have OSU around a 6 seed. If the season ended today they'd be a 4, no questions asked. But the most bizarre thing is that they don't even get mentioned. The only time I hear anything about them is when the media lists the good losses "americas most underrated team" LSU or my favorite, "wait until next year's OSU recruiting class". Fuck next year. This team deserves its own praise. This team has one weakness, rebounding. Everything else, better than average. Excellent guard play and shooting. Good team defense. Good post player. Good at creating turnovers. Also, a good FT shooting team. They share the ball and are really starting to get the 4-out, 1-in philosophy. Depending on matchups (as always) and keeping Matt Sylvester out of his own way (probably just off the floor in general would help), this team is a legit threat to make a Final Four. I'm not saying they will, but they are good enough to give anyone fits.

Now, will they get any praise? Probably not. In fact, cbssportsline.com lists their "10 biggest CBB games of the weekend" and OSU vs. I-L-L didn't make the list. OF THE WEEKEND!! IN GEORGIA!!! Considering the oinge and blue are 60% Dee Brown and 30% Augustine, they don't really frighten me. Plus, they lost to Penn St, at home. With OSU finally getting a good road win, they're either gonna be fired up and win by 20 or be overconfident and lose by 5. I don't see any other option. I just don't understand how a team who's worst loss is a toss-up between a 5 point loss @Iowa or a 2 point loss @Indiana with a healthy DJ White can get ZERO pub of any kind, but they are.

Other thoughts
-Am I the only one in the world who didn't think the officiating of the Superbowl was THAT bad? I mean, there were some questionable calls. Other than the Hasselbeck "block-tackle", which actually was a non-factor, nothing else even struck me as horrible. I think the Seahawks only had 6 penalties in the entire game. This whole "it's everyone's fault but mine" accepted group think from the media about this game is confusing at best.
-The greatest BC forward of all time was Ryan Sidney. He played a whole season with his mouth wired shut!! He was only 6-2!! Great player. Just not as good as Troy Bell.
-Yes, ACC officials love Duke. And yes, Sheldon Williams would have to blow the whistle himself to have a foul called on him. But his "great defender" rep has "earned him that call". So that just begs the question. Sheldon Williams picks up TJ Ford on a drive to the bucket. What happens? I'll await answers. All are acceptable besides, "Vitale masturbating all over himself", b\c that's a given.

5 Comments:

At 1:11 PM, February 10, 2006, Blogger Jack said...

In patented numbered outline form:

1.) I'm scared for March because of the over-reliance on triples and our tendency to get beaten senseless on the glass. That being said, I have no idea what to do with this team come the Tourney. They're senior-laden, they've been playing this lineup for almost two straight seasons now, they take care of the ball, and, when they want to, they can D up. Plus there's the "Matta's teams always play at their best come March" factor. As Tom over at The Subsidiary said, "They could get hot and make a run to the Elite Eight or dump a game to a 13 seed in the first round if they're off." Pretty much.

2.) That being said, this team is 17-3 and getting approximately NO national love. Lunardi has them a 6-seed (and LSU a 3? Huh-WHA?). Seth Davis, despite a professed man-love for Thad Matta, doesn't have OSU as a top-4 seed, although he does have Tennessee, UCLA, and Georgetown(!?!) as 3-seeds and Northern Iowa and LSU as 4s. And you're just as likely to see an NCAA women's bball highlight on SportsCenter as you are an OSU mens' one. Conversely, Ken Pomeroy has them #7 in his pythagorean ratings and #9 in his RPI. The NCAA's RPI (where 4 of the top 13 teams are Big Ten squads) has them #12. So what, you ask? I don't know. OSU-Illinois not making the "10 biggest games of the weekend" list is idiotic, but the MSM is full of idiots.

3.) Other than the Hassellbeck tackle blown call (which I explained the significance of in my post), no, none of the blown calls were that "horrible." But it is a universally-accepted truth that a.) The game was poorly officiated, and b.) 80-90% of the blown/questionable calls went against the Seahawks. Combining that with the NFL's love for choreographing everything, the "get Bettis a ring" crap (ridiculously reminiscent of Tom Osborne in '94, no?), and these revelations about Wayne Gretzky, which would be the biggest sports story in the last five years if anyone gave a shit about hockey, and you're left with some questions. Like I said, I'm not gonna cry out "bias," and yes, the Seahawks fucked up waaayyyyy too many times to be that mad at someone else, but come on, man. EVERY questionable call went Pittsburgh's way, and some of them were absolutely YOOGE and game-changing.

4.) RE: Ryan Sidney
I hate you. And I knew, I FUCKING KNEW, when I made that post, that you would bring up Ryan Sidney. I'm not sure if that makes it better or worse.

5.) RE: T.J. Ford vs. Shelden Williams in the "most protected college bball players in recent memory"-Bowl
I think two guys away from the ball would get called for double-technicals, and Ford and Williams would each get to shoot the technical shots.

 
At 3:07 PM, February 13, 2006, Blogger The Diddy said...

Another great quote from Rick Majerus. It even tops his, "I'm not a big Gay man".

Majerus: "Just like you dont want to be behind me in the buffet line, you dont want to be behind him at the airport." (talking about Cincy guard Jihad Muhammad)

Classic

 
At 7:31 PM, February 13, 2006, Blogger Torgonator said...

Ditto on all the recent OSU commentary. Although, I will say that I love watching the Buckeyes play basketball EXCEPT for:
(1) the second-half, five-minute offensive collapse that invariably occurs every game, and
(2) whenever Matt Sylvester shoots the ball or plays defense

God help me when the two overlap.

In other news:
(1) I agree that the officiating wasn't that bad in the Super Bowl - there were just some very close calls that didn't work out in the Seahawks favor: the Roethlisberger rushing touchdown (I don't think he made it in, but it was really freakin' close); the offensive pass interference call in the end zone (a weak interference, but the call was not completely without merit); and the bizarre, meaningless clipping penalty called against Hasselbeck. Certainly unfortunate for Seattle, but I don't think it's as bad as the media makes it out to be (as is usually the case). That said, I'm sure I'd be pissed if I were a Seattle fan - especially since the media clearly wanted Pittsburgh to win.
(2) The Sheldon Williams vs. T.J. Ford question and responses were all fantastic.
(3) I had read Cuban's response and it was great. Very Cuban-esque.
(4) The Majerus quote is also mantastic.

So much to love here...

 
At 3:14 PM, February 14, 2006, Blogger Torgonator said...

Do you think Jihad Muhammad saw the opening scene of Team America: World Police? If so, do you think he freaked out that they kept saying his name over and over?

I'd like to think so...

 
At 3:27 PM, February 14, 2006, Blogger Jack said...

"Ahhhhhhhhhh, ducka ducka ducka..."

Personally, I am skeptical as to whether or not Majerus actually said that. I mean, after what happened to Limbaugh, you'd think his ass would be out the door and we'd be reading stories on it non-stop if he had actuall said something that wildly racist on television.

"This coming from the guy that had us as a #6 just a couple weeks ago."

If by "a couple weeks ago," you actually mean "five days ago," then your statement is 100% correct. Lunardi had us a 6-seed on his Thursday morning Bracketology.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home