Thursday, February 09, 2006

A quick one while I'm in the lab

Jeffy, when in doubt, make it a post, rather than a long comment. I don't care if I linked to something before you did - the only things from the Mind of Nipsey that need to go in the comments are direct responses to other things in the comments. Plus, I mean, you get the "compose" feature, which makes things easier. So yeah. Also, the U.S. Curling Sisters are so adorable that it seems almost wrong. Like, "No ... no way. I can't be seeing what I think I'm seeing." But you are. YOU ARE.

I have to get to class soon, but quick thoughts on tonight's semi-titanic showdown in Ann Arbor:

All right, here's the thing. I haven't watched an OSU game since the MSU one. And I ain't starting now. This team is maddening, and the result has been that I can't get a read on anything they might do, and that accounts for the complete and total lack of analysis on them in this space. The one constant: they're probably gonna shoot a lot of threes. Hey, we're a POT, so that's expected. The thing is, the threes have to tempered by feeding the ball to Dials in the post. Twenty-five or more three-point attempts, and we definitely lose. Less than that, and it may be a dogfight. The Bucks have to take care of the ball and avoid getting beaten senseless on the glass. So what's gonna happen? I haven't got a friggin' clue. But it's a game between "top-7" teams in the conference, so the home team is gonna win. It's just a question of by how much.

Sidenote: more talk about B10 officiating, courtesy of Wonk's number-crunching readers. I can't be the only one who instinctively knew that Wisconsin hasn't played a home game in the last three seasons in which they finished with more fouls than their opponent. Also, Wonk links to an article by Gregg Doyel in which he lays the wood to Coach K and his frightening clutch on NCAA refs. A nice read.

Sidenote to the sidenote: The Anti-Duke Manifesto. Huzzah for lawyers who decide to spend their time ripping on Duke!

Sidenote to non-sidenote text: Buckeyes 94, Wolverines 85. That's what unconscious shooting will get you. Also, the Bucks chucked up 24 three-pointers; I'm going to consider my above statement about "25 or fewer triples" to be a Kreskin-esque display of sooper genius. I'll be posting my picks on lottery numbers sometime in the near-never...

2 Comments:

At 11:38 AM, February 10, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interestingly enough, last night's game does not support some previous theories on home court free throw bias. However, as I mentioned, I think there's often some direct relation between energy level and number of free throws attempted. Perhaps, typically road teams play with less energy which may be due to the tiring effects of making said road trip. But last night, for the most part, OSU seem to play with a bit more energy than the Wolverines. It was visually evident... and in the end it was statistically evident in the box score. OSU shot one more free throw than home team Michigan. Just a thought.

Break of Dawn

 
At 11:39 AM, February 10, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My mistake, OSU shot TWO more free throws than the home team.

Break of Dawn.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home