Monday, May 15, 2006

No, seriously. What the hell?

So ... the Detroit Tigers are all alone with the second best record. IN BASEBALL. Quite frankly, I still haven't adjusted. I wake up in the morning, and the scrolling bottom line during Mike & Mike tells me more often than not that the Tigers won the night before. This has NEVER HAPPENED in my life (or at least, since I realized that baseball existed and that there was a team in Detroit). In the official MWB fantasy bases-ball league -- in which my team is soaring up the standings, thanks to narrow leads in like 3 categories; I swear, this league is the biggest clusterfuck we've ever had, stats-wise -- Mike Maroth and Nate Robertson are both on rosters. Mike Maroth! NATE ROBERTSON! These guys are viable fantasy options, despite the following facts: 1.) Mike Maroth lost 20 games three seasons ago, and 2.) Nate Robertson is Nate Robertson. And they're on fantasy teams? IMPROBABLE!


I think we all know what Oglethorpe would have to say about the Motor City Kitties.


I'm still not sure this incarnation of the Tigers warrants the label "for real." Ian from the Sweaty Menses blog is buying in, but I'm still riding the fence. I mean, you just can't flip the switch and make the Tigers, the Detroit Tigers, go from "laughing stock" to "legitimate baseball team" and get people to follow without trepidation. But I am enjoying the Tigers playing moderate stretches of baseball where they win more games than they lose. It's an unfamiliar sight, but a welcome one.

Also, yes, my exams are done and my PMBR class is over. I am now a Doctor of Jurisprudence and my first bar prep class contained a moment of hilarity for me. The format of the course is that they throw us into 50 multiple guess questions each day, completely cold, on subjects that many of us haven't studied in at least two years, and then go through each of them with us and let us know how stupid we've all become. Well, on Day 4, in the middle of my Evidence test, I faced a question that began with the following:


Carruth is on trial and charged with murdering Nicolette, his former girlfriend. In its case-in-chief the prosecution contends that Carruth killed Nicolette because he had gotten her pregnant and she refused to have an abortion.

Bar prep imitating life. I can't believe they actually used Rae Carruth's actual name. In the middle of the silent lecture room I audibly laughed. There are times when I just love life.

...Times such as this weekend, when I'm coming to town and we're hitting up the Cliffside. It is, after all, Ladies' Night...

4 Comments:

At 2:34 PM, May 15, 2006, Blogger Ian C. said...

Dr. Jack Fu, regardless of whether or not they're "for real" yet, they're just fun as hell to watch right now. It's like the thrill you get from riding a roller coaster. You know they're going to blow this game, but then... they don't. And it feels GREAT.

I'm just enjoying the ride.

 
At 2:42 PM, May 15, 2006, Blogger Jack said...

I concur. It's exactly like you said: there have been tons of those "crap, here they go again" games (the biggest one I can remember is one during the Seattle sweep), where they look like they're about to Be The Tigers and blow the game, and they ... don't. I'm still not used to it, but it's been DAMN fun so far.

 
At 2:07 PM, May 17, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Break of Dawn

When was the last time the Detroit Tigers had the best record in baseball as late as May 17th? Attendance at least night's game was still a paltry 18,000 or so. Perhaps there are other fans just like me. Baseball is a game of superstitions. I don't want to jinx them and fear that my attendance could quite possibly do so. Any other superstitions of note out there in the might Midwestern Bias bloggosphere?

Break of Dawn

 
At 5:37 PM, May 17, 2006, Blogger Jack said...

Superstitions? Just the standard ones: you know, the Red Wings always lose when I watch, I have to wear my lucky red sweatshirt for OSU football games (basketball has thus far proved immune to the mysterious powers of the sweatshirt -- Georgetown absolutely slaughtered its mojo). Usual crap like that.

Incidentally, they were just asking on a radio show here in Detroit "what's the biggest reason the Tigers have had this start?" People are saying everything you'd expect (Jim Leyland, key guys like Maggs and Guillen are actually healthy) and some things you wouldn't (Joel Zumaya and only Joel Zumaya), but the one I'd agree with most is the one that the host pointed out: Mike Maroth and Nate Robertson, the 3 and 4 guys in the rotation. These are two guys whose career stats coming into this year were ... well:

Maroth: 40-58, 4.82 ERA
Robertson: 20-29, 4.90 ERA

This year?

Maroth: 5-2, 2.18 ERA
Robertson: 4-2, 3.50 ERA

Is that gonna keep up? Not a chance in hell. And if you're like me and think that they're the biggest reason the Tiggers are inexplicably best in the bigs, that's cause for trepidation. Let's hope things keep going well and they're just playing meaningful games in August, which hasn't happened since 1991...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home